Wednesday was Cooking Club #2 at Casa de Cash!
Back in July, Shay hosted Cooking Club #1 where we all brought an Italian themed dish, so this time I got to host it and everyone brought appetizers. We had stuffed mushrooms, pinwheels, pigs in a blanket, guacamole, marinated shrimp/artichoke/mushrooms, and my Bob Armstrong dip-- everything was so good!
Thanks to Kelly's Korner, I got the recipe for Matt's Rancho Martinez's famous Bob Armstrong dip and it was a success! Nathan and I have eaten this dip MANY times for dinner since we've lived in Dallas and boy is it tasty. I wholeheartedly agree with Kelly when she says "dips are my love language."
I loved having all the girls over and entertaining in our new home (and I enjoyed finally using so many of our dishes and servers we registered for). Shay is getting married in two weeks so we enjoyed chatting about all of the preparations and upcoming honeymoon to Maui!
For dessert, I served brownies and homemade coconut ice cream on yes, more wedding dishes and cute little after dinner drink glasses that belonged to my great-grandmother! As we enjoyed dessert, we played a round of Pictionary (because what's a party without Pictionary???). I hope to have many more get-togethers like this in the future in our home!
Creamy Coconut Paletas (from Popalicious)
Makes six to eight pops
Ingredients
1 13½-oz. can coconut milk
1 14-oz. can organic sweetened condensed milk
2/3 c. half-and-half
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pure vanilla extract
¾ c. unsweetened shredded coconut*
*For a toasted coconut flavor, spread a thin layer of shreds on a baking sheet and toast in the oven at 325° for 10-15 minutes. (I didn't do this but it sounds tasty)
1. Put the coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk, half-and-half, salt, and vanilla in a blender; blend until smooth.
2. Stir in the shredded coconut.
3. If using conventional popsicle molds, divide the mixture among the molds, snap on the lid, and freeze until solid, about 6 hours. If using glasses or other unconventional molds, freeze until pops begin to set (about 2 hours), then insert sticks and freeze until solid.
From here, I put some of the coconut mixture into a Hawaiian shaved ice bowl, froze it, then put it through my Pampered Chef shaved ice machine. It turned into the consitency of ice cream and was delicious! If you've ever had a Thai dessert with sweet rice and coconut ice cream, this tastes exactly like it! This is Nathan and my favorite dessert ever (from Thai Cottage), so we were very pleased that it turned out so well.
Creamy Coconut Paletas (from Popalicious)
Makes six to eight pops
Ingredients
1 13½-oz. can coconut milk
1 14-oz. can organic sweetened condensed milk
2/3 c. half-and-half
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pure vanilla extract
¾ c. unsweetened shredded coconut*
*For a toasted coconut flavor, spread a thin layer of shreds on a baking sheet and toast in the oven at 325° for 10-15 minutes. (I didn't do this but it sounds tasty)
1. Put the coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk, half-and-half, salt, and vanilla in a blender; blend until smooth.
2. Stir in the shredded coconut.
3. If using conventional popsicle molds, divide the mixture among the molds, snap on the lid, and freeze until solid, about 6 hours. If using glasses or other unconventional molds, freeze until pops begin to set (about 2 hours), then insert sticks and freeze until solid.
From here, I put some of the coconut mixture into a Hawaiian shaved ice bowl, froze it, then put it through my Pampered Chef shaved ice machine. It turned into the consitency of ice cream and was delicious! If you've ever had a Thai dessert with sweet rice and coconut ice cream, this tastes exactly like it! This is Nathan and my favorite dessert ever (from Thai Cottage), so we were very pleased that it turned out so well.

This was such a fun night! Thanks so much for hosting. Hopefully we'll have cooking club #3 somewhere soon??? :-) Loved the house, and thanks for listenting to all my chatter about wedding stuff and Maui!
ReplyDeleteYour mom took me for my first sticky rice and coconut ice cream the other day, and I, too, am HOOKED!!! oh--my--gosh, best stuff I've ever, ever tasted!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun club! I like the way the titles include numbers and it will be interesting to see the numbers climb. Great that y'all document these evenings with photos and recipes:)
ReplyDeleteHow much fun! And everything looks so delicious! So fun to entertain in your own home, too. I'm sure you were the perfect hostess. It's nice to have so many sweet friends!
ReplyDeleteThat looks like so much fun!! I wish this was in Houston!!
ReplyDelete