Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Tornado alley?

Last week, Nathan and I experienced our first tornado together! (presh)  It was very scary, but all was well once the storms were over.

We were out looking at houses to rent and then stopped at Tacos y Mas for some dinner when the sky started to get eerie and we heard the Tornado Warning on the radio... Nathan said we'd be fine, so of course I didn't worry (well, too much).  When we got back to our apartment, we immediately turned on the news and the weather people said that a hunk of storms were coming directly towards Downtown Dallas.  Nathan said "Molly, grab the dog-- we need to leave NOW."  As scared as I was, I had to wrap my taco back up, get a fork, close the blinds, put on my socks and tennis shoes, and grab some water for the road.  Well, I only wrapped my taco and put on tennis shoes because Nathan was not very tolerant of my "piddling."

Anyway, the three of us got in Nathan's truck (mine was safe under our apt) and we got the heck out of our 4-story apartment and ended up in Nathan's office's parking garage.  We were there for about 2 hours, listening to the radio reports and getting texts from our family about what was going on outside (there were 4 tornado cells with some activity being spotted near White Rock Lake, Park Cities, and other places).  There was lots of wind, thunder, and blown transformers but thankfully we weren't touched by a tornado.  Since Patriot with us, who wouldn't really settle down, it was like taking care of a child... we didn't have water (cough cough Nathan) so we had to go inside to buy a bottle of water for him and we didn't have much entertainment so Pate chased a golf ball down the parking garage most of the time...


Once we got the A-OK to leave (there was a break in the storms and the next set would just be hail and winds, not tornados), we headed back to our 4-story apartment.  We were hit with huge winds so we sat in my car in the parking garage for a bit, then went back upstairs when it was all clear.  Poor Patriot doesn't like storms, so he slept for a full day after this event!

With all of the recent tornado catastrophes around the United States, I know we are very lucky to still be here today!

1 comment:

  1. I like Nathan's version of you tidying up the apartment before evacuating!

    ReplyDelete