Saturday, February 23, 2013

That one week when Patriot hated us...

Nathan and I have talked about getting dog #2 for quite a while now... We were that couple to stop by every doggie adoption day in the parking lot if we drove by a pet store, talk about how great it'd be for Patriot to have a friend and teach the younger dog how to behave, and longingly look at pet adoption Facebooks and websites (ok that's just me).  So one day when I was perusing said pet adoption Facebook, a little speckled dog jumped out at me.  His name was Mike and he was two-years-old.  Nathan and I agreed that we were not able to handle a puppy, so a two-year-old sounded great.  Nathan surprised me one day during lunch and asked me to come to a nearby park.  Well sure enough Mike was there with his foster mom!

He was absolutely precious.  Happy, cheerful, quirky, and handsome.

We agreed that night to have Mike come and hang out at our house for a week so we could make sure it was a good fit.  My mom was in town when Mike was brought over, so she got to document the craziness that ensued.  He came to our house with a Ziploc bag of food and two toys.  "Isn't he crate-trained?" we asked his foster mom?  "Yes, but I am not responsible for your crate..."  So off we went to Petco!  We took both dogs to the elementary school soccer fields to play around for quite a while and they seemed to be somewhat coexisting together.



We renamed him Remington (Remy for short) shortly after he arrived.  Remy was a ball of energy -- a little too much energy for me.  He jumped on me, bite me, licked me, and was all up in my business every second of the day.  He didn't like to lay down and he drove poor Patriot up the wall.  For the next 3-4 days, Patriot was under the bed whenever we were home and would never eat.  He couldn't stand Remy's energy and that he got jumped on so much.  We quickly realized this dog was precious, but not a good fit for our family.  I'm positive we could have trained him to not bite, lick, and jump but he ruined Patriot's attitude and made him miserable, which is not what I want to do with my "first-born."

He arrived on a Sunday and that Friday night after my body had been scratched up by Remy's jumps, I called the foster mom to see when I could take him home.  Of course after I got off of the phone, he and Patriot laid underneath the coffee table together for about five minutes.

It was time for Remy to go back "home" and hopefully to a forever home in the near future.  Nathan and I learned quite a bit from Remy.  1. We are not ready for another dog (as in Patriot can't handle it at his age).  2. We should probably never own a Shepherd due to the intense amount of energy they have 3. Patriot is a spoiled only-child.


Goodbye, sweet Remy!

Hello, happy Patriot!


2 comments:

  1. Remy needs a family with several kids he can interact with and I'm sure he will find one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Pate and Remy! Pate just likes being the only kid in town. So sorry it didn't work out, but thanks for keeping Pate first! However, if you want us to come get Patriot, you could still have Remy!!��

    ReplyDelete