Thursday, November 17, 2011

Adventurous Weekend in Dallas

Nathan and I had quite the adventurous weekend---

Friday after work we made a quick trip to Dirty Dillard's (helloooo Veteran's Day Sale) where N got a Hart-Shaffner Marx casual button-down and a fishing shirt and I got a Max and Cleo dress and a casual maroon shirt (all for $45).  Score.

Saturday we went to the Travel and Adventure Show at the Convention Center Downtown where we saw Pauline Frommer and Samantha Brown!  They talked about their adventures, where to splurge and where to scrimp on vacations, and answered all types of travel questions.  We got some brochures on places we want to visit (Thailand and Alaska especially) then N went to the SMU vs. Navy game with his boss while I chilled at home because I wasn't feeling well.


Pioneer Plaza-- The 4.2 acre area celebrates the trails that brought settlers to Dallas with native landscaping and natural stream and the world's largest bronze monument featuring a cattle drive of 40 longhorns (from D Magazine) 
Saturday night I volunteered at the annual March of Dimes event called Signature Chefs Auction.  It was at the Fairmont Hotel in Downtown Dallas and was decked out with glamour.  There were 15 or 20 upscale restaurants (Nick & Sam's, Chamberlain's, etc.) that had food samples to try, they had a silent and live auction (one chef's package went for $20,000!), and a wine pull.  This was the worst night for me to attend this since I wasn't feeling well-- nothing sounded good but I still tried a handful of dishes!  I was adventurous and had a foi gras donut as well as sausage with bone marrow hollandaise... but they also had less-adventurous food like fried prawns, seared scallops, and dumplings.  Yum!

I got to hang with Shay and all my friends from March of Dimes which was very fun!  Shay and I did the photo booth too-- picture to come.

 
Sunday, N and I went to church & lunch at Taco Diner then we headed over to the Dallas Zoo for Literacy Day... Children and staff of Vogel Alcove were invited to the zoo (along with many other Dallas-based schools) for fun activities.  N and I got to feed and pet giraffes which was the highlight of my day!! 




Not sure if the gorillas liked all the kids there...
After the zoo, we went to Bishops Art District for Cliff Fest-- they had food for sale at lots of restaurants' tents, a chili cookoff, music, and shopping.  We visited the Soda Gallery where they had the best strawberry soda and even a Root Beer that N had never tried!  FYI, Nathan prides himself on the fact that he has tried every single root beer in existence.  Every once in a while we will find one that is new, but not often :)


We finished up the weekend with dinner at Torchy's Tacos with Scott and Rebekah-- we ate outside and had Patriot overlooking us from the truckbed.  Perfection :)

This week we are gearing up for having Nathan's parents over for Thanksgiving week so we are busy cleaning and getting everything ready for them!

4 comments:

  1. What a variety of activities in one weekend.
    Jealous of the giraffe feeding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are just too much fun!! You should have your own show about fun things to do in Dallas! Can't wait for y'all to show us fun things there!! Only 3 more days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You named this post very aptly!! Love hearing about it since I don't EVEN have the energy to do all those things! I know you'll have a fun Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is AWESOME about the giraffe feeding!! Lucky!!

    ReplyDelete