Monday, October 31, 2011

Fashion Sabbatical

I know I have been slacking in the blog world lately-- first due to the overwhelming excitement I had for my new neice but second due to the fact that I took a Fashion/Shopping Sabbatical.
I have taken the past 3 weeks to study up on fashion blogs, thrifting blogs, scout out stores (regular and thrift), and take a long hard look at my closet.
I have always been a fan of "What I Wore Wednesdays" that Lisa Leonard is a part of, and I think I'm going to attempt to participate as well!  I think it'll be good to really use all the clothes in my closet and get creative, become even more thrifty, and make myself look cute throughout the week (which is sometimes a challenge).

I am also coming out of the shopping closet and admitting that I love thrift stores!  After reading a lot of blogs these past few weeks, I have discovered that thrift stores can be gold mines.  I have always loved shopping for great deals, but this is even better... I know a lot of the fun is because it's a "hunt" but there is a great amount of satisfaction knowing you are saving money while still finding cute clothes.

So if I'm going to go shopping anyway, I might as well buy the stuff really really cheap right?  I have found the best items to buy at thrift stores are JEANS.  I like shopping for those because you can find some really great brands for not very much money... and the problem I always have when buying jeans in a regular store is that you can't tell how they're going to fit after you wash them-- should you buy down a size because they'll stretch after wearing them? Or should you buy up in case they shrink in the wash?  Well if you buy pre-worn jeans, they have already stretched or shrunk so you can just buy ones that fit in the store!

I know I'm such a newbie when it comes to thrifting but I am really enjoying learning the craft and I'm REALLY loving the savings!  I hope to share with you all some of my best finds and tips on thrifting in case you want to start :)

Here's my pile of jeans I've gotten over the past few weeks-- Abercrombie and Fitch, Banana Republic, Gap, Ann Taylor Loft, Old Navy.... Skinnies, white, boot cut, capris, trouser, boyfriend....

Nathan thinks I have a jean problem but I have no idea what he's talking about.


Ok, maybe I have a slight problem.


So, in my search for thrift stores in the Dallas area, I came across a wonderful store called Genesis Benefit Thrift Store.  All of the proceeds go to Genesis Women's Shelter which houses and supports women who are victims of domestic violence.  I've worked with Genesis before and strongly believe in their mission so I'm happy to be able to support it by buying items at their store.

I found most of my jeans there ($8 each) and recently I found this great Cashmere sweater from J Crew ($8).  From what I've heard about thrift stores, Genesis Benefit Thrift Store definitely has the highest prices but I feel like the quality of all the items are superb-- the store is located near Highland Park so you're bound to get some really fabulous clothes.  (Side note: you still have to dig for good stuff in your size like any other thrift store, but this place is much more organized and has better items)


Since it's my birthday week, I convinced Nathan to take me to Salvation Army for 1/2 price Wednesday (you get 1/2 price on all their clothing) and he happily agreed (only because it was my birthday week).  I've decided I kind of like Salvation Army... Their "Boutique" section consists of overpriced clothes so unless you go on 1/2 price Wednesday, don't go in there.  Jeans are $14 and aren't that great of brands, coats can be $40, etc. (which is expensive in thrift world).  So I found some J Crew jeans in the regular women's section ($3.50 today) and Nathan found an REI and Ping jacket ($5 and $2.50 today).  So we left as happy campers!  I know I know, I bought another pair of jeans but I think you can never have too many!  (Side note: Salvation Army does not have very many high quality items so you REALLY have to dig)



The truest comment I've read about thrifting is don't waste your time buying low quality items.  If all the jeans at Genesis Benefit Store are $8, don't buy Target brand jeans, buy Banana Republic or Citizens of Humanity (if you can find them!) because that's obviously the better bang for your buck.

So as much as I love thrifting, I am still devoted to my Dirty Dillard's (and just getting great bargains at regular stores).  Dirty Dillard's has amazing deals on great quality items (that haven't even been worn yet) so I guess I'll have to rotate my shopping around now!

2 comments:

  1. Extremely inspiring!! I'll have to admit also, that I COULD HAVE BEEN to more than my share of thrift stores here in The Woodlands. These people wear things once, and then they're sick of it. My gain!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to your Wednesday posts now.
    And wouldn't Nathan find bargains right along with you at Salvation Army...of course!

    ReplyDelete