A couple of Saturdays ago, I volunteered at Attitudes and Attire by helping women SHOP! Yes, you read that right, SHOP! It was the perfect volunteer opportunity!
Attitudes and Attire is a wonderful non-profit in Dallas that serves women by providing workshops (including job training skills, stress and financial management, resume help, etc.) and other services to improve their job search, confidence, and overall well-being. At the end of the program, the women go "shopping" for work and casual outfits to give them a confidence kick-start (which is what I helped with)! There were a number of other volunteers there that Saturday that assisted the women during their shopping spree. I helped two women and it was so much fun! They tried on probably one hundred pieces of clothing and left with a good chunk of them. It was fun figuring out their style and making sure they got just the right pieces for their wardrobe.
Sometimes I brought them clothes that they absolutely hated and other times they were items that they LOVED. I loved being their personal shopper! Each woman left with shirts, pants, dresses, skirts, jackets, shoes, and a purse, so they were ready to go!
One of the best parts of that day was hearing each woman's story about what they've learned from this program and their future goals. These women told stories of their past-- some including drug addictions and/or homelessness-- and how they have benefited from the workshops at Attitudes and Attire and overcome their past.
Read more about the Attitudes and Attire mission HERE


You're such a good person! And who knew shopping could be a ministry??!!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great example of using your spiritual gifts (mercy & encouragement, if I had to guess) and passion (equipping those less fortunate, if I had to guess). Way to serve, my little shopper girl;)
ReplyDelete